EMS and Veterinary Team Save Dogs from House Fire
A house fire could have proved fatal to the dogs and cats that were caught in a Fort Collins home.
However, thanks to the incredible prehospital veterinary support system in Fort Collins, these pets are safe and happy, along with their very grateful owners. Here are some of the things that made this fabulous rescue possible.
- Colorado was the first state to have a formal Preveterinary Care Act (Colorado, SB 14-039) that enables First Responders to provide care and transportation to dogs and cats.
- UCHealth systems EMS along with Poudre Valley Fire Department had previous training and also received donated supplies to ensure they were ready for exactly this type of situation.
- Poudre Valley Fire Department responded to the fire. After ensuring people were safe, they assessed the pets and found that they had stopped breathing. They quickly provided oxygen and respirations, successfully reviving the dogs!
- Poudre Fire Department then transported the pets to Fort Collins Veterinary Emergency and Rehabilitation Hospital
- Dr. Robin Van Metre and the team further assessed and treated the pets, including HBOT Hyperbaric Oxygen Therapy to mitigate the effects of the Carbon Monoxide poisoning
Learn More About this Great Story by Erin Udell at the Coloradan.