Save the Sweets for the Human Love-Of-Your-Life. It Could Save your Canine’s Life


Did You Know…

Xylitol is an increasingly popular and potentially fatal sugar substitute found in many types of chewing gum, mints, baked goods, toothpaste, vitamins, human medications, sports drinks, and even MREs.  Xylitol causes low blood sugar (hypoglycemia) and liver failure.  As little as 2-4 pieces of xylitol-containing gum can cause hypoglycemia in a 60 pound dog.

 

Signs of Xylitol intoxication:

  • Vomiting (often the first sign)
  • Lethargy and weakness
  • Mental dullness
  • Incoordination
  • Diarrhea
  • Collapse and seizures

 

Treatment:

  1. If you are witnessing the ingestion, immediately separate your dog from the source of the xylitol.
  2. Call your primary veterinarian, the Pet Poison Helpline at 1-800-213-6680 or ASPCA Animal Poison Control at 1-888-426-4435.
  3. Depending on circumstances they may advise you to induce vomiting.
  4.  Transport to your dog to nearest appropriate veterinary facility.